- Methodology / Teaching aids
- Publics / Requirements
- Training Crédits
- Duration and schedule
- Online training
- Validation and certificate
- Financial conditions
- Quality certification
- Participants’ reviews and testimonials
From Thursday 16 June 2022
To Saturday 18 June 2022
with Ana Gomez
The bihemispheric structure of the brain imposes on clinicians the challenge of therapeutically relating and strategically embracing the full biology of the human mind. For clients with developmental injuries, trauma left them in a constant state of physiological activation while unable to verbally tell their life accounts. Sandtray techniques provide distance and an entrance into the unspoken world that lays beneath the aware and conscious mind. This presentation will introduce how to incorporate Sandtray techniques into EMDR therapy. In addition, it will address how utilizing Sandtray strategies within an EMDR framework can be a powerful portal into adaptive as well as traumatogenic material.
This training covers the eight phases of EMDR therapy with children and adolescents and the use of the EMDR-Sandtray Protocol including basic and advance theoretical principals and practical strategies. This protocol is especially useful for children that present with dysregulation or constriction of the affective system as a result of having experienced complex and developmental trauma. These children and adolescents require greater distance from the traumatic material and a gradual entrance into somatic, affective and cognitive schemas that resulted from trauma. In addition, the sand tray becomes a refuge to the mind of children that present with strong self-protective systems, dissociation and mechanisms of adaptation resulting from trauma. The EMDR-Sandtray protocol offers various levels of distance from the traumatic material as well as an implicit and explicit entrance into the embodied mind of the child.
This training will guide you and will equip you to utilize both portals and access routes into the child’s inner world. It is not necessary to have the formal training in sand tray or Sandplay therapy as this protocol has its own procedures and principles rooted within the AIP model.
A thorough hands-on approach is used in this training. There will be opportunities to practice and use Online and real Sandtray work.
This workshop provides theoretical and practical strategies resulting from the integration of Sandtray therapy into a comprehensive EMDR treatment. This is done with the goal in mind of working effectively with children and adolescents with complex clinical presentations.
(1) Clinicians will be able to develop case conceptualization skills and treatment plans based on the Adaptive Information Processing model (AIP) while including Sandtray therapy strategies and procedures.
(2) The EMDR- Sandtray protocol will be presented using three levels of distance. The distance and titration offered by sand tray therapy gives the child and the EMDR clinician the opportunity to access, explore and process traumatic material while bypassing the child’s mechanisms of adaptation and defenses. Special attention is given to maintaining adequate adherence to the AIP model and the EMDR therapy standard procedures while honoring the essence of Sandtray therapy.
(3) This workshop will place emphasis on preparation strategies as well as interweaves that can be used in combination with Sandtray therapy.
Methodology / Teaching aids
- Didactic presentation.
- Study of clinical situations
- Discussion with the participants
- Presentation of videos of EMDR consultations with children and adolescents
Publics / Requirements
- Completed a Level 1 of EMDR Europe Child and Adolescent Accredited Training, with an EMDR Europe Accredited Child & Adolescent Trainer.
- Completed a full EMDR Europe Child and Adolescent Accredited Training (C & A Level I & II, or C & A Parts 1, 2 & 3), with an EMDR Europe Accredited Child & Adolescent Trainer.
- Accreditation as an EMDR Europe Approved C&A Practitioner
The number of participants is fixed at : 30 to 72 face-to-face participants, 30 to 150 online participants.
Program subject to change
Before the training
During this training, you will have the opportunity to experience working with the sandbox online and in person. To make this possible, it is important and essential to plan before the training :
1 – a time to learn about the Simply Sand Play application. It is very important that you familiarize yourself with this application BEFORE the training in order not to waste time during the training. Have fun testing and using the different features.
In concrete terms, you will receive, one week before the training, the necessary information to connect to the » Simply Sand Play » application free of charge (access possible approximately one week before the training and until one week after the training).
2 – the creation of your sandbox
Each participant must have a sandbox. If you don’t have one, here are some indications to create your own : France Sandtray Training
You will also need to have some sandbox figures – 50 miniatures minimum, and more is even better. Ana will send us details on this as well. These miniatures can be very simple, like rocks, leaves and basic figures. We will have a lot of fun!
During the training
- Welcome of the participants – Reminder of the training objectives
- Presentation of the training program
- Collection of participants’ expectations
- The three levels of EMDR processing in the tray
- Case conceptualization skills and treatment plans based on the Adaptive Information Processing Model (AIP) including strategies and procedures for Sandtray therapy.
- Strategies for preparation
- Interweaves to use when information processing is blocked in the tray
Ana Gomez, author of EMDR and Adjunct Approaches with Children: Complex Trauma, Attachment and Dissociation (2013) and EMDR Therapy with Children: Journey Into Wholeness (2013), is a psychotherapist in private practice, author of several books, chapters and articles, and a lecturer internationally known for her innovative work with children and adolescents. In addition, Ana Gomez is an EMDRIA approved consultant; an EMDRIA advanced training provider, an EMDR Institute, EMDR-IBA and EMDR-HAP trainer. Furthermore, Ana has received training in Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Play Therapy, Sandtray Therapy, Theraplay, Interpersonal Neurobiology (IPNB), and the use of the Adult Attachment Interview (AAI). She has worked with children, adolescents, adults and families affected by trauma and adversity for almost 20 years. (More about Ana, in french).
Training credits granted by the Continuing Education Commission of the EMDR France Association: 1 hour = 1 credit (18 credits)
Duration and schedule
Duration : 3 days – 18 hours.
Schedule : to be confirmed, subject to change
- Thursday: 2:30 pm to 9:30 pm (with two breaks from 4:30 pm to 5:00 pm and from 7:00 pm to 7:30 pm)
- Friday: 2:30 to 9:30 pm (with two breaks from 4:30 to 5:00 pm and 7:00 to 7:30 pm)
- Saturday: 2:30 pm to 9:30 pm (with two breaks from 4:30 pm to 5:00 pm and from 7:00 pm to 7:30 pm)
The training is in video : a technical introduction to Zoom is offered a few days before.
To register : Please send an email to Alicia Dufour on firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following information : First name, Last name, profession, postal address, billing address (if different) and attach a document justifying the requirements :
- Certificate for completed a Level 1 of EMDR Europe Child and Adolescent Accredited Training, with an EMDR Europe Accredited Child & Adolescent Trainer.
- OR certificate for completed a full EMDR Europe Child and Adolescent Accredited Training (C & A Level I & II, or C & A Parts 1, 2 & 3), with an EMDR Europe Accredited Child & Adolescent Trainer.
- OR certificate for Accreditation as an EMDR Europe Approved C&A Practitioner
Registrations must be made at least 1 week before the training (distance learning).
As the number of participants is limited, we operate on a first come first serve policy and recommend you to register as soon as possible.
The registration will be definive after reception of :
- The signed training contract or agreement
- Full payment at the time of registration
Participants will receive a confirmation of registration by email.
In order to make things as easy as possible, you will receive in advance :
- access link to join the meeting the day before the training
- the pedagogical documents (training manual and appendices) : sent to you by email a few days before the training (please check spam box).
- if needed, free technical support and tutorial to handle of our video conferencing tool. A technical introduction to Zoom is offered a few days before the training, (we offer several dates). A technical test is possible before the training, for interested participants.
And, at the end of your training, all the usual post-training administrative documents.
The validation of the training requires your presence, an active participation in the whole program and the validation of 75% of the questions asked in a post training MCQ.
An article on the technical questions and recommendations is available online: read the article : lire l’article (in french)
Validation and certificate
The validation of the training requires attendance, active participation in the entire program and the validation of 75% of the questions asked in a validation MCQ.
A certificate of attendance is sent to participants at the end of the seminar.
An evaluation questionnaire will be completed at the end of the training.
A preferential early bird rate is offered for registrations made more than 3 months before prior to the training date.
Individual payment :
- for registrations made no later than 3 months before the training : 685 € (2022 rate)
for registrations between 3 and 1 month before the training : 745 € (2022 rate)
- Support by a legal entity : 888 € (2022 rate).
Coverage by a legal entity : 888 € (price 2022).
Participants wishing to have their training paid for by an organization must register as a continuing education organization and mention the name and contact information of the organization on the registration form. A request for registration is sent by the continuation education organization to us Institut Françis d’EMDR. The necessary administrative documents will be sent directly to the paying organization.
Fees include the training and the pedagogical documents.
They do not include lodging, transportation or meals.
You will find information about the cancellation conditions in our general conditions (in French)
You can pay for your training :
- as an individual : by credit card on the day of registration
- if the training is paid for by a legal entity : at the latest 1 month after the end of the training
For the preferential early bird rates offered for registrations made more than 3 months before the training : the date retained for the application of the preferential rate is the date of payment mentioned on the bank account of IFEMDR (this concerns individual registrations).
- Essentia Conseils – Institut Français d’EMDR training activities have been awarded a Qualiopi quality certification. Detailed information about the QUALIOPI CERTIFICATE – IFEMDR
Participants’ reviews and testimonials
We only publish the testimonies of professionals who have accepted the publication of their opinions and evaluations as well as the mention of their names, without moderation of the contents. If you have attended this training, you can also add your testimonials in the comments of this page.
Reviews of the training Thérapie EMDR pour les enfants souffrant de traumatismes chroniques, with Ana Gomez, May 7 and 8, 2021, online, in french.